Some noteworthy accomplishments would include:
- Training Day: On Tuesday 5th of March our council had a training day to prepare for the road ahead and teach us how to handle council work, as well as get to know each other. They were given several team-building exercises which taught them how to work together and different scenarios that could occur while working on the council.
- Water Fountains: The chairman and PRO meet with Mr. Ryan before the summer holidays to discuss the installation of water fountains in the school. Mr. Ryan agreed that student access to water was important and had two fountains installed over the summer holidays.
- “iConnect” Second Level ID Cards: Council members are distributing application forms for student ID cards.
- Visit to Bishop Galvin: Members of the council visited the 6th class students in Bishop Galvins to talk to them about secondary school. The sixth class students had lots of good questions which the student council members answered. The student council members then met the same students on their first day of school in September. This was a welcoming presence in the school for the first years and it was good for them to know a few friendly faces in the school when they arrived.
- Cofffee Morning: The council had a coffee morning for students who were new to the school outside of first years in September. Again this was to make these new students to the school feel welcome.
- Blue Day: The student council held a day the Friday before the All Ireland as a fund raiser for sports facilities in the school. Students wore blue to support Dublin in their successful pursuit of Sam Maguire.
It had been a very good time for the council, and they have really worked hard to improve the school, make it a better place and represent the students interest. We pride ourselves in being a democratic school, in which everyone in the school has a say in matters and can express their views and opinions. If you have any questions, queries or any comments about the running of the school or a change you’d like to see occur, please get in touch with YOUR council by contacting one of the following:
Donal Dignam (Chairperson)
Aoife Cowley (Secretary)
Lauren Derwin Doody